[plt-scheme] upcoming change in PLT Scheme v300

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (shriram at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 1 00:10:49 EST 2005

		The Fate Of LAMBDA in PLT Scheme v300
				  or
		   Lambda the Ultimate Design Flaw

About 30 years ago, Scheme had FILTER and MAP courtesy of Lisp hackers
who missed them from their past experience.  To this collection,
Scheme added a lexically-scoped, properly-functioning LAMBDA.  But,
despite of the PR value of anything with Guy Steele's name associated
with it, we think these features should be cut from PLT Scheme v300.

We think dropping FILTER and MAP is pretty uncontroversial; (filter P
S) is almost always written clearer as a DO loop (plus the LAMBDA is
slower than the loop).  Even more so for (map F S).  In all cases,
writing the equivalent imperative program is clearly beneficial.

Why drop LAMBDA?  Most Scheme users are unfamiliar with Alonzo Church
(indeed, they don't even know that he was related to Guy Steele), so
the name is confusing; also, there is a widespread misunderstanding
that LAMBDA can do things that a nested function can't -- we still
recall Dan Friedman's Aha! after we showed him that there was no
difference!  (However, he appears to have since lapsed in his ways.)
Even with a better name, we think having the two choices side-by-side
just requires programmers to think about their program; not having the
choice streamlines the thought process, and Scheme is designed from
the ground up to, as much as possible, keep programmers from thinking
at all.

So now FOLD.  This is actually the one we've always hated most,
because, apart from a few examples involving + or *, almost every time
we see a FOLD call with a non-trivial function argument, we have to
grab pen and paper and imagine the *result* of a function flowing back
in as the *argument* to a function.  Plus, there are *more* arguments
coming in on the side!  This is all absurdly complicated.  Because
almost all the examples of FOLD we found in practice could be written
as a simple loop with an accumulator, this style should be preferred,
perhaps with us providing a simple helper function to abstract away
the boilerplate code.  At any rate, FOLD must fold.

--The PLT Scheme Team

Posted on the users mailing list.