[plt-scheme] Re: plt-scheme digest, Vol 1 #981 ---> Scheme Cookbook compared to other resources?

From: Neil W. Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Thu Sep 2 09:50:52 EDT 2004

todd.a.schmiedeke at us.pwc.com <todd.a.schmiedeke at us.pwc.com> writes at 09:24 02-Sep-2004 -0400:
> What does Scheme Cookbook offer that  How To Design Programs  by F/F/F/K
> and  How To Use Scheme by F/F/F/K/S   does not?

PLTers can give a better characterization of their books than I can,
but here's one perspective from one Cookbook contributor...

HtDP is a pedagogical book about how to program (and think better).

HtUS is more a reference on doing particular kinds of practical things
in the full PLT Scheme language and library.

The Cookbook is somewhat similar in intent to HtUS.  However, by virtue
of being a Wiki edited by a cast of thousands, the Cookbook is more
organic and responsive.  The Cookbook will likely end up with broader
scope than HtUS, and much less consistency.

As the Cookbook site mentions, however, there is interest in developing
an edited print book from the Cookbook at some point.  The goal would be
to promote Scheme through bookstore shelves, with the help of a major
publisher.

--
                                             http://www.neilvandyke.org/