[plt-scheme] Massive memory consumption

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 29 23:20:12 EDT 2004

At Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:53:57 -0700, Devlin Bentley wrote:
> Trivial toy problem, itty bitty issue with a non-terminating recursive
> function call, but after the program is terminated (on those occasions
> that I am able to terminate it...) DrScheme keeps using up about 200MB
> of ram.
> [...]
> Right now I am running DrScheme 208p1 on a Win32 box, would changing
> over to the latest unstable build help any?

The default v299 build won't help, because the problem is essentially
with the collector, and that hasn't changed.

A "3m" build with v299 would likely help, though. The "3m" variant of
DrScheme uses a more precise garbage collector, so it can release a
run's 200 MB more quickly. Furthermore, the 3m collector is able to
return unused memory back to the OS.

Eventually, we'd like to make 3m the default build for PLT Scheme. It's
been a long road so far, and it appears that we have a ways to go, yet.
The 3m variants are not currently included in the nightly binary
builds. But I think we're getting closer, and 3m should be restored to
the nightly builds soon.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.