Fwd: [plt-scheme] Installing PLT as non-admin on windows

From: Gordon Weakliem (gordon.weakliem at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 25 13:15:45 EDT 2004

Whoops, meant to cc in the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gordon Weakliem <gordon.weakliem at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:15:23 -0600
Subject: Re: [plt-scheme] Installing PLT as non-admin on windows
To: Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org>

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 01:34:17 -0400, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> There is no real "for this user only" -- anyone who has access to the
> installed PLT tree can still use the resulting setup.  Furthermore,
> this will make things more complex -- does it have an implication
> where the preferences are saved?  How about the per-user collection
> path?  I think that your suggestion is not going to work since it
> requires a pretty verbose explanation about the difference between the
> two ways.

The "current user only" option has more meaning when you do things
like write application settings to the registry, but still has meaning
as far as Start menu icons, a program installed for the current user
would not show up in another user's Start menu.  It's true that
whoever has access to the binaries could run PLT (that's also true on
Unix, FWIW), but my point was more that PLT currently won't install in
a restricted environment.  Saving prefs is really a runtime issue, not
an install time issue.  PLT seems to maintain prefs just fine on a
multi user Win 2K/XP machine.

As far as hacking the install, where is the source for that located?
It doesn't seem to be inside the zipped windows sources, is that
available in CVS only?

Posted on the users mailing list.