[plt-scheme] Re: Programming for non-programmers

From: Richard Cleis (rcleis at mac.com)
Date: Sun Oct 17 01:28:57 EDT 2004

On Oct 16, 2004, at 10:44 PM, Alex Peake wrote:

> [...]

I don't find it easy, but I don't have much practice!

> Others have pointed out that the top programmers are undervalued, and
> in any but great companies I
> agree. Most think in terms of a linear relationship between Rank and
> Output (Value) with the 50%
> Rank giving 50% Value. I think more in terms of ax + bx^3 where the
> bottom quartile have negative
> value and the top quartile produce 3 to 10 times more value than the
> average. I have had many
> managers intellectually agree, and then balk at actually paying even
> double.

Sports salaries come to mind with this sort of modeling, but businesses
typically have no roster limits so that comparison is risky.  In any
event, the salary ratios in a sports team are > 10:1 ... but nobody
bats an eye.

> The part of the answer I am working on is set the top quartile to work
> with generative techniques,
> searching out and generating the well known patterns (and re-train the
> bottom quartile in some other
> skill). I could chat for days about this, but I stop here.
>

> Alex
>

>> rac
>>

>>> Alex

Posted on the users mailing list.