[plt-scheme] The programs that write the programs

From: Alex Peake (alex.peake at comac.com)
Date: Sat Oct 16 18:09:31 EDT 2004

>Message: 7
>Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:35:20 -0700 (PDT)
>From: michael rice <nowgate at yahoo.com>
>To: plt-scheme at list.cs.brown.edu
>Subject: [plt-scheme] The programs that write the programs
>
>It is WE the programmers ('workers') that need to write the programs that write programs, surely?
>
>Alex
>
>Exactly! Or maybe even write the programs that write the programs that write the programs. But how
will the tools for doing this differ from the tools for just writing the programs?

>I saw an application (from the '70s) that did this: an APL report writer that took user data to
output APL code (a program) that was then run (via APL's execute
>operator) to produce the desired report.
>
>Another, in a different vein, took all the behavior out of the Smalltalk objects in a graphics
application and  put them in an interpreted condition/action database that so a superuser could
program the program to change the behavior of the application.

>So, do we need the text: How to Design Programs that Write Programs?
>
>  --mr

You already have the tools (as I have demonstrated to my own satisfaction) in PLT Scheme!

And indeed, a text on "How to Design Programs that Write Programs" is an excellent idea. Anyone
interested in collaborating with me on this?

Alex

Posted on the users mailing list.