[plt-scheme] Re: Programming for non-programmers

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 16 09:40:34 EDT 2004

On Oct 16, 2004, at 8:21 AM, John Kozak wrote:

>> Elsewhere in this thread it is claimed that other cultures are less
>> likely to say 'no' than the USA.  I find that difficult to imagine,
>> let alone realize.
>
> It's really not that unusual - consider "Up to a point, Lord Copper".
> Regarding India, one of the travellers' clichés is that asking a
> local person the question "does this road go to X" will yield "yes"
> for all values of X.

Ask Shriram, he's from there and he has given you an answer.

> With the reducing social mobility we see in the
> West these days I suspect we're headed back that way too - just
> because one side laid down its arms in the class war doesn't mean that
> the other side will!

Someone (not a rich person at all, not even wealthy) recently said
to me "What do you mean by `conservative'? Do you mean the party
that has spouted the same ideas about classes and social stuff
for 150 years? Ideas that belong into a museum by now? You can't mean
a party that has the idea that everyone should own something?"

This class war rhetoric is silly and outdated by decades.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.