[plt-scheme] Re: Programming for non-programmers

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 15 07:52:22 EDT 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 10:10 PM, Peter Santoro wrote:

> I should have said "suggesting to our children that they avoid"
> instead of "directing are children to avoid".  I will let my children
> choose their career field, but I will give them all the information
> that I believe they will need to survive in a global labor pool where
> CEOs favor hiring the lowest wage workers.

Few people here may know that I have an MBA-like degree (though
extremely mathematical in comparison to US schools). One of the things
we learned in business courses was not to get the cheapest but the most
profitable solution. Indeed, the business professors had managed to
sneak exercises about efficiency and profit-maximizing into the CS
courses that we had to take. One of them is now in HtDP.

If American MBAs really go for cheap -- see if -- they ignore basic
business facts and it will affect them sooner or later. Of course, the
problem is that they will suffer from this *after* everyone else in a
company has suffered.

But, I used *if* for a reason. As I have pointed out before, the
current savings of moving a software engineering job abroad to a
country where SEs earn a quarter of a US SE is 20, 25 at most 30%.
These numbers are available in public studies as well as in IBM papers
about this years migration of jobs. That's a large gap for now, and
definitely worth "arbitraging". But the salaries in other countries are
jumping by leaps and bounds. I predict that this 10-year old out
sourcing wave [it's only in the news because of the US presidential
elections; there is no other reason, it is an old phenomenon] will
peter out in a few years.

Finally, even with all the outsourcing and the post-bubble blues the
prediction of the industry association is that until 2012 there will
not be enough software/information professionals produced in the US.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.