[plt-scheme] Re: Programming for non-programmers

From: Eric Kidd (eric.kidd at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 14 18:26:41 EDT 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:10:14 -0400, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> On Oct 14, 2004, at 4:22 PM, Peter Santoro wrote:
> >  Because parents like myself are directing are children to avoid all
> > careers that can be easily outsourced.  Only career fields that
> > require physical presence (face to face with the customer) will
> > survive with a livable wage.
>
> Speaking as a college professor and parent: Let your child choose. If
> there's any interest in CS *and* the department at your child's college
> offers a decent CS education, encourage your child to do computer
> science (at least via a minor).

Programming can be outsourced only because of the low ratio of hard
thinking to actual programming.  Scheme is a joy, here--with the right
macro languages and good programmers, you can close the gap between
thinking and coding in almost any problem domain.  Once you've
designed your software precisely (which I'm repeatedly told is the
only way to succeed at outsourcing), why is there any implementation
work left?

Cheers,
Eric

Posted on the users mailing list.