[plt-scheme] Re: Programming for non-programmers

From: Richard Cleis (rcleis at mac.com)
Date: Thu Oct 14 15:56:28 EDT 2004

On Thursday, October 14, 2004, at 12:10PM, Jeanie Kozar <jeaniek7 at comcast.net> wrote:

>What do you mean by "lightweight" languages?

I am just using the term of the Lightweight Languages Conferences.  The meaning of the term depends on the context.  In my case, PLT-scheme is easily embedded into C and is easily extended to contain C.  Scheme can also be written to behave has another language.  These points and many others do not apply to C++, Fortran, etc.  I will stop commenting on this subject before being trounced by those who can answer your question more rigorously.

>I find it terribly depressing
>that people with CS degrees have had no exposure to functional languages.
>Don't these schools teach comparative language courses any more?  When I was
>in school such a course was mandatory; it covered Fortran, Algol, Lisp and
>APL;  terribly old-fashioned now, but they pretty well covered the spectrum
>of language styles (imperative/functional/rule-based, paralleling the
>automata/recursive-function/production-system models of computation).

Most have a few units of functional programming stuck in the lint of their back pocket, but they don't take it seriously.  I am not depressed by it; it was just a sign of the times.  Was it possible ten years ago to find a webpage with an R5RS-engine implemented in Java?  The programmers I work with desire such instant gratification to be convinced of legitimacy.

>What sort of lab are you at?  I've been trying to figure out how to get into
>a scientific investigation environment where I might be able to combine my
>skills and interests.  Your descriptiuon certainly piques my interest, and
>the idea of getting to use lisp or scheme is mighty attractive.  I have a BS
>in math and physics, and a MS in computer science (I hate that misnomer --
>it should be computing science).  I've been out of school for a number of
>years; I've worked with hard scientists and engineers, mathematicians,
>semiconductor designers, and done some computing R&D (you know, last
>funded/first cut).

I work at the sort of lab that has been insisting that I hire more people.  Please email me if you have any interest in living in New Mexico and are interseted in telescopes, lasers, cameras, etc.  Oh... we also write a LOT of software for conducting experiments, but almost all of it is C/C++.  A few of us are trying to change that.

>I hope you don't find this intrusive, but I just couldn't step away without
>responding.  Thanks for your patience,

> -- Bill Wood
>    bill.wood at acm.org

Posted on the users mailing list.