[plt-scheme] Re: Programming for non-programmers

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 14 12:44:08 EDT 2004

--- "Neil W. Van Dyke" <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:

> I think they'll increasingly find that
> they're not sufficiently competitive in a global IT
> workforce.

> Perhaps the US can out-educate inexpensive overseas
> labor, enough to
> catch up cost-effectiveness-wise.  (An HtDP in every high
> school!)

Preach on, brother. (And generalise the US to "Western
nations".)  Here are two puzzles I'd like to solve:

  1. How can I make myself 20x more productive than an
Indian SE, so our salaries are comparable

  2. Why aren't top SE's paid £300ph (circa $600ph), which
is what a top lawyer would easily charge?  Software is
incredibly valuable, or Microsoft wouldn't be what it is,
so something must be wrong if we can't charge what lawyers
do.

I suspect solving 1 would also solve 2.

Noel

=====