[plt-scheme] LOCAL: Scheme Boston meeting on Wednesday, 20 October 2004

From: Win Treese (treese at acm.org)
Date: Thu Oct 14 01:00:41 EDT 2004

The next Scheme Boston meeting will be on Wednesday, 20 October 2004, at
7:30 PM in West Village H (WVH) 366 at Northeastern. The usual meeting
day for Scheme Boston this year will be the third Wednesday of the
month.

A New Foreign Function Interface for PLT Scheme
Eli Barzilay, Northeastern University

Even a programmer devoted to Scheme may prefer using foreign libraries
in certain situation. Connecting the two worlds involves glue code,
usually using C, which requires significant programming efforts and
system expertise. In this paper we describe a PLT Scheme extension for
interacting with foreign code, designed around a simple philosophy: stay
in the fun world, even if it is no longer a safe sand box. Our system
relieves the programmer from low-level technicalities while keeping the
benefits of Scheme as a better programming environment compared to C.

Directions to WVH:
    - 440 Huntington Ave at Parker Rd, right across from the Museum of Fine
      Arts.
    - On Northeastern's campus map (http://www.campusmap.neu.edu/), it's
      in the area marked "Under Construction" between buildings 22 and 36.
    - Just about halfway between the Northeastern and MFA stops on the
      green line, and an easy walk from Ruggles on the orange line.  Also
      convenient to bus #39.
    - There may be parking available on Parker Road next to the
      building, or not.

Posted on the users mailing list.