[plt-scheme] Re: Programming for non-programmers

From: Richard Cleis (rcleis at mac.com)
Date: Thu Oct 14 00:29:00 EDT 2004

What about 'Programming for experienced programmers?'  I work with
eight other programmers (in a science laboratory); none of them have
any experience with any lightweight languages or functional languages
(all have computer-science or computer-engineering degrees).  I have
only been able to convince two people the value of scheme or python or
anything 'out of the box', but all remain entrenched in C++.

I doubt that force-feeding them servings from a Cookbook will change
matters; what should I do?  I easily convinced our resident astronomy
professor that we need to start some seminars, but what should we
present that will generate genuine interest in Scheme... to experienced
programmers?

rac

On Oct 13, 2004, at 9:14 AM, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2004, at 10:08 AM, Arctic Fidelity wrote:
>
>> Programming is just another name for the lost art of thinking.
>
> This is the best way of putting things. Well said and thanks.
>
>> People are quite capable of thinking, but they do not. If they are
>> taught how to think, they are also taught how to program, and vice
>> versa. It is simply a necessity that people learn to program, it is
>> part of a liberal education.
>

> -- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.