[plt-scheme] Scheme or Lisp?

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 6 12:37:14 EDT 2004

Everyone has talked about the lack of database support.  It
is true.  The only points I can add are some of the
not-quite-finished drivers we have kicking around in
Schematics CVS.  There are incomplete drivers for MySQL,
PostgreSQL and Firebird.  I'm also working on a driver for
the Berkeley DB, which I intend to finish.

Now on to the good point.  There are excellent tools for
the presentation side of a web application.  My favourite
tool is WebIt!  If you know XSLT, it is an embedding of an
XSLT like language in Scheme.  If you don't know XSLT, it
is a way of transforming data into HTML.  You should also
know about SXPath -- an embedding of XPath in Scheme.
Finally, continuation-based web applications are much
easier to write than cookie/session based one.  Check out
the PLT web server and various PLT publications.

To give you one URL to look at, try:

  http://schematics.sourceforge.net/scheme-uk/past.html

The first four or so meeting are about SXPath,
continuations, SXML etc.  Ignore (most of) the content on
those pages and follow the given links for much goodness.

HTH,
Noel

=====
Email: noelwelsh <at> yahoo <dot> com