[plt-scheme] Questions about PLaneT documentation options

From: Jens Axel Søgaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Fri Nov 5 16:11:46 EST 2004

Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2004, at 11:27 AM, Williams, M. Douglas wrote:

>> The doc.txt format isn’t suitable for complete user documentation of
>> complex collections.  Should I provide a doc.txt that provides
>> rudimentary documentation?  Should doc.txt provide directions on
>> getting the complete reference manual?  Should the pdf file be
>> distributed as part of the collection?
>
> Yes, add the abstract as a doc.txt and then point to the pdf file. If
> I were a user, I'd love to get the docs with the distribution. Jacob?

The HelpDesk doesn't search the PLaNet directories in 208 for doc.txt
files. Does 299 include the PLaNet doc files in the search?

>> It seems that much of the PLT Scheme documentation is done using
>> (some variation of) TeX and then using it to generate the HTML
>> documentation.  If this is the preferred method, what is the best way
>> to get started with TeX?
>

> Get a book on latex. It's not too bad after you get used to it. Kind
> of like 6809 assembly language for Mac's window system.

I just want to add that the canonical place to look for TeX-related
stuff is <http://www.ctan.org>.
One of the better online introductions is:

   "Not so Short Introduction to LaTeX"
   <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.ps>

The easiest way to install LaTeX is to use the TeXLive cd:
    <http://tug.org/texlive/>
which works on most Unix, MacOS X, and Windows systems.

The SLaTeX program by Sitaram used to embed Scheme code in LaTeX
documents is fortunately included
in the PLT Scheme distribution (search the HelpDesk for SLaTeX):
    <http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/slatex/slatxdoc.html>

--
Jens Axel Søgaard

Posted on the users mailing list.