[plt-scheme] Questions about PLaneT documentation options

From: Williams, M. Douglas (M.DOUGLAS.WILLIAMS at saic.com)
Date: Fri Nov 5 11:27:37 EST 2004

I recently added a collection to PLaneT and it works fine as a distribution
method, but I have a few questions about the best/preferred way to document
such a collection.

Currently, the documentation is a 100 page or so word document which I
distribute as a pdf file (converted using Adobe Acrobat).  This doesn't
match the way other collections are documented in PLT Scheme or PLaneT.  At
the moment someone looking at my collection in PLaneT doesn't even know
there is documentation.

The doc.txt format isn't suitable for complete user documentation of complex
collections.  Should I provide a doc.txt that provides rudimentary
documentation?  Should doc.txt provide directions on getting the complete
reference manual?  Should the pdf file be distributed as part of the
collection?

The other alternative is to convert everything to HTML and use the doc
collection.  Does PLaneT support downloading of HTML documentation and
installation in the doc collection?  If not, what is the proper way to
insure that the HTML documentation for a collection in PLaneT is tied to the
PLT Scheme help system?

It seems that much of the PLT Scheme documentation is done using (some
variation of) TeX and then using it to generate the HTML documentation.  If
this is the preferred method, what is the best way to get started with TeX?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Doug