[plt-scheme] just starting, comming from j2ee

From: Jaime Barciela (jbarciela at yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 2 10:02:01 EST 2004

Hi Dominique, thanks for your answer

I found this page
(http://sisc.sourceforge.net/comparison.php) that
compares Kawa, JScheme, Bigloo and SISC, and I went to
their web sites to read, but I havent test myself
anything (I need to learn Scheme first, I guess :)

What I didn't like from Kawa is that you have to
compile and deploy your servlets like regular java
servlets, and you don't have a REPL so you loose some
of Scheme's good qualities. (Is that so in your
experience? )

There are also some restrictions about continuations,
tail recursion, etc but at this point I don't know it
those will matter at all for my project.

Same for the slower JScheme and the faster Bigloo.

SISC is the more flexible but then, I don't know,
would it be possible to build a highly scalable site
on top of an interpreter made in java?

I would really appreciate if you tell me a little
about your experience with Kawa.

I was wondering if it would be to much of an
"impedance gap" between the java libraries (say, jdbc,
jndi) and Scheme as a language. Can you really "think
in Scheme" having to use libraries that weren't
designed for that?

Jaime

--- Dominique Boucher <dominique.boucher at nuecho.com>