[plt-scheme] Smart way to upgrade

From: Matt (mcj4 at kent.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 28 12:00:16 EDT 2004

So, what is the "smart way" to upgrade? I have PLT Scheme running on two
different *NIX machines and my Powerbook. On the *NIX machines, I build
MzScheme (I don't need DrScheme there), and on the PB I typically download
the binary installation package (because I like the simplicity).

However, upgrading is annoying; in particular, on the PB, I have to
reinstall a bunch of libraries. Certainly I've missed something that would
make things simpler, yes? Could I just softlink my local collections
directory and re-run 'setup-plt' to recompile .zos for the new
installation?  What do other people do?

If the smart move is to just build everything from CVS, that's a
reasonable answer, but I assume I'm not the only person who moves from
binary-to-binary on some platform.

Thanks,
Matt