[plt-scheme] minimizing garbage collection time

From: Adam Wick (awick at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed May 26 17:12:22 EDT 2004

At Wed, 26 May 2004 16:45:05 -0400, Doug Orleans wrote:
> about `map' reusing cons cells)?  My impression of the 3m collector is
> that it (potentially) uses less memory, but isn't any faster-- is that
> correct?

Generally speaking, both are true. Actually, 3m usually slows programs
down slightly. I'm working on speeding up 3m (both in general and with
regard to pause times) as we speak.

If your program does generate huge amounts of garbage which it near
immediately throws away, it is possible that the default 3m collector
might improve performance. If it keeps a lot of data around, though,
you'll probably still see a performance hit.

Presuming you have a 3m build sitting around somewhere, you might want
to just try it and see what happens.

-Adam

Posted on the users mailing list.