[plt-scheme] whither units?

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sat May 22 09:36:23 EDT 2004

At Fri, 21 May 2004 18:42:02 -0400, Doug Orleans wrote:
> I was thinking about units today, and browsing through the list
> archive I came across this comment from 18 months ago:
>
>   Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:37:04 -0700 (MST)
>   From: Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu>
>
>   [Side note for those interested in units: Expect a re-design of the
>   unit forms in the very near future.]
>
> How near is "very near"?  :)

Not so near as I thought, obviously.

> It would be nice to have an expansion-time entity like a
> module that is parameterizable like a unit.  Is this where the
> re-design was headed?

The main goal of the re-design was to support parameterization over
things that have both a compile-time part and a run-time part (i.e.,
the unit would be parameterized over the run-time part, allowing the
import of all things that have the same compile-time part).

The current implementation gives you that only for structs.

> Is it headed there now?  Or anywhere?

No, not currently. Other things have turned out to be more interesting,
and a unit rewrite is no longer on my very-near-future list.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.