[plt-scheme] web application programming in scheme

From: Don Felgar (dfelgar at rainier-infosys.com)
Date: Mon May 17 11:38:11 EDT 2004

On Sun, May 16, 2004, Mike Burns wrote:

> Work is (very slowly) underway on mod_mzscheme, which will be implemented
> such that servlets written for the PLT Web server will just work under
> mod_mzscheme. A good idea is to write for the PLT Web server for now, then
> switch to mod_mzscheme if you absolutely need to, once it is updated and
> released.

Have you considered server affinity?  Here is my documentation about
this problem:
http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2003-August/003293.html.
 In summary, Apache and PLT servlets operate in an incompatible
manner.  The PLT servlet model requires that a single server process
store all continuations.  With Apache a webapp must be stateless
across multiple server processes; Apache makes no guarantee that any
particular request will go to a particular server, though in practice
keepalive means the browser usually talks to one Apache process.

That being said, my mod_mzscheme works fine.  Let me know if you'd
like the code.  I'm using it actively, but not with web-server.  I
also have a version of web-server which I hacked to run in
mod_mzscheme.  I'm not longer using that, and you would have to tweak
it to be fully compatible with the latest web-server.

Several webapp programmers are happy with SISC.  SISC uses a Java
persistance interface to produce binary continuations which can
persist in the database or in a file.  SISC continuations may be
executed from any SISC process.

--Don

Posted on the users mailing list.