[plt-scheme] to define, or to let (new twist)

From: Bradd W. Szonye (bradd+plt at szonye.com)
Date: Thu Mar 25 17:56:32 EST 2004

Paul Schlie wrote:
> Reasonable responses include:
>
> - don't understand. or I believe that the world knows how to write error
>   free programs; or that program halting upon an error is ok. (which is
>   ok, but would be a loss as to how to try to make a further case for it.)

I believe that the part of the programming world that *requires*
error-free software knows how to produce that kind of software. The rest
of the world is happy with having ways to diagnose errors when they do
crop up, and fail-fast ("panic") approaches are a well-established way
of doing that.

> - understand, but believe it belongs within the user's domain to provision.

That's how it works in the life-critical software business. You can't
leave that sort of thing up to off-the-shelf parts.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd