[plt-scheme] beginner questions about viewport lib and dlls

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 21 13:48:04 EDT 2004

At Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:25:47 -0400, "Psy-Kosh" wrote:
> Sorry, maybe I was unclear in my question. I meant, why under windows
> are dlls required even for running the standalones?

Since we moved to DLLs, "stand-alone" executables aren't really
"stand-alone" anymore. The "MzScheme.exe" executable, for example, does
little more than tie DLLs together.

The DLLs contain the run-time system and garbage collector; naturally,
those are needed by all applications that are built with PLT Scheme.
There's no way to merge DLLs to get one EXE. (Well, there's no
Microsoft-sanctioned way. I think it must be technically possible, but
perhaps arbitrarily difficult.)

For this and other reasons, in a future version of PLT Scheme, the
"stand alone" option will generate a directory with all necessary
files. For now, we try to make it easy for others to install just the
DLLs:

  http://www.plt-scheme.org/software/dynamic-libraries/

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.