[plt-scheme] partial evaluator for PLT?

From: Michael Sperber (sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Sat Jun 5 09:43:53 EDT 2004

>>>>> "Doug" == Doug Orleans <dougo at place.org> writes:

Doug> Failing that, anyone want to weigh in on the relative merits of those
Doug> three tools?  PGG claims to handle the largest language, i.e. all of
Doug> R4RS; it also seems to have the most recent active development.  Are
Doug> there other noteworthy ones that I'm missing?

Your assessment is essentially correct: Similix is just way old and
doesn't have many of the goodies of PGG.  Schism is, in theory, more
powerful, but very difficult to get up and running and use.  (Also, I
remember it not being really practical in a system without working
image-dumping support because it would take *so* long to load.)

Porting PGG shouldn't be that difficult---in fact, doing the necessary
work so that the generating extensions work should be very easy.  But
note that PGG-generated direct-style extensions will run quite slowly
in PLT Scheme because of the slow implementation of CALL/CC in PLT.
(There is a backend that generates CPS output programs, but I doubt
that that's been maintained---you might want to ask Peter Thiemann as
to its status.)

--
Cheers =8-} Mike