[plt-scheme] ICFP Contest Reminder

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 1 21:39:04 EDT 2004

Don't let this scare you. In the end it's about
  - analyze the problem and design your data properly
    make up example
  - write down contracts for each piece
  - write down examples for each pieces and develop tests
  - organize into a template
  - write code
  - run tests
+ edit the code, re-run tests

Also, develop in iterations:
  - focus on some basic important functionality
  - get it right
  - test
  - add functionality
do it all over.

-- Matthias

On Jun 1, 2004, at 8:36 PM, Raymond Racine wrote:

>>> For list-related administrative tasks:
>>>
>>> ifconfig <nslookupifconfig at hotmail.com> writes at 00:41 01-Jun-2004
>>> +0200:
>>>
>>> Some younger women and men should join together to form Team PLT.
>>>
>> But if I do enter, it will be with DrScheme.
>>
>> -Connor
>
> As someone who has toyed with ICFP for the last 3 years, and attempted
> serious run at last years contest, here are some thoughts on the
> contest
> based on my experiences.
>
> 1) Be prepared.  IRC channels, CVS setup, accesses granted, core
> members
> etc.... all prearranged.
> 2) Think, then code it.
> 3) Upfront effort in breaking the code into distinct modules with some
> agreed upon interfaces BEFORE the code starts to fly is a good thing.
> 4) I think 3 people +/- 1 is ideal for a core team.
> 5) There is PLENTY of opportunity to participate at the part time level
> and support a core team without committing to the marathon.
>
> Every contest involves writing code which generates a solution.  Every
> contest also involves writing code to verify solutions, sanity check
> solutions, QA solutions, and usually to "visualize" solutions.  Last
> year for example, every team ended up writing a separate tool to trace
> the cars path over the racetrack bitmap. You can participate at the
> tool
> level without committing to the marathon.  There tools are small and
> generally are in the 1-3, 4-5 hr commitment range.
>
> The code generated in a typical ICFP can be categorized as follows:
>
> I.  Base Infrastructure:   Parsers for the input data.  Writers for the
> specified output format for submittal.  This is just "crank it out"
> code
> to "get" to a point where you can start addressing the meat of the
> problem.  A framework into which one or more solution strategies can be
> inserted is an ideal base infrastructure to an ICFP problem.
>
> II. Core Algorithm/Strategy which generates a solution.
>
> III. Ancillary, standalone support tools.
> Solution verifiers.  Visualizers etc.
>
> Usually core team is so desperate to get to Phase II, Core Strategy,
> that Phase I is a minimal band aid, and Phase III is given short shift
> because of lack of resources (this is an area where part timers can be
> key).
>
> By Saturday afternoon and evening the "marathoners" are into Phase II,
> have a bare, minimal framework in place (read/parse in data, base
> support code, a hopelessly naive strategy that dumps out the simplest
> of
> solutions or pseudo solutions) and are now starting into the meat and
> potatoes of a sophisticated solution generating algorithm.  Some teams
> will split and tackle the problem with two different strategies and
> later recombine (or not) on the the most promising approach.
>
> Now that a very bare bones framework is in place, and the core teams
> [...]

Posted on the users mailing list.