[plt-scheme] Re: Visual Studio .NET ...easier than PLT Scheme

From: James Goldwater (james at eccehomo.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 30 13:10:21 EST 2004

I've only evey played with PLT Scheme, have used Visual Studio.NET with
C# a bit, and know Delphi inside out.  Regarding GUI building, wizards
are _not_ the answer in my opinion.

GUI Builders are incredibly useful for, well, building the base blocks
of GUIs.  Specifically, instantiating widgets with correct defaults,
allowing you to hook events/delegates/anon-inner-classes/whatever
quickly, and most, most, importantly of all, they allow you to see
quickly what properties a widget has.

The code-generation side of GUI builders is almost incidental.  Helpful
right at the beginning (and helpful when messing around with layouts
etc), so give you a tiny bit of boiler-plate to remind you how to do it.
    But the power of the whole drag-and-drop component/bean/widget
methodology is that it is _self-documenting_, allowing a beginner (and
sometimes expert!) an extremely easy and intuitive way of learning what
things can do, and what other things they talk to.  And _that_ is the
power of a gui builder, much more so than wizards or code generation. In
my opinion (;

James.

--
James Goldwater
Development, databases, systems, support