[plt-scheme] An Editors Tale

From: Daniel Silva (dansilva at lynx.dac.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 28 11:55:05 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 10:24, Noel Welsh wrote:
> --- Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> > My original hope was that we could (1) provide
> > Pythonistas with a good GUI PDE and (2) attract
> > some of them to work on our Python implementation
> > and to import some of Python's numerous libraries.
>
> The problem with Spy, at this point in time, is that
> it doesn't offer any significant advantage over
> CPython.  IIRC Spy is quite a bit slower and the
> libraries aren't there (which really makes it unusable
> for most development).  DrScheme for Python would be
> nice and might attract some attention if the library
> issue was solved.

Yes, Spy is not ready for production use (hence not exp-tagged).  Once
it's ready you will hopefully be shocked and awed at the absence of the
library problem.

As for speed, that will require some hefty optimization program-related
activities...

Or we can take a different path: how much Python language compatibility
do you _really_ want?  If you don't care about mutable classes then I
can give you Fast Python.

Daniel

Posted on the users mailing list.