[plt-scheme] An Editors Tale

From: Joe Marshall (jrm at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 27 09:23:13 EST 2004

Tim Johnson <tim at johnsons-web.com> writes:

>   Well, I'm a python programmer, beginning to learn scheme - here's a
>   thought:
>
>   I also write in rebol,
>     ( said to be highly influenced by scheme and lisp)
>   which has no exposure to either the OS or the window
>   managers.

REBOL 1.0 was extremely influenced by scheme and lisp (proper tail
recursion, lexical scope, first-class continuations), REBOL 2.0 was
less so (none of the above).

>   It does however, have good TCP/IP features, which I use for database
>   access. In my little company, we have thought about writing a GUI
>   'server' in either python or perl which would be the 'middle layer'
>   between rebol and the OS/Window managers, and 'take orders' thru
>   sockets.
>
>   Any other thoughts on that?

Sounds possible.

> Similarly, could one use scheme thusly?

Certainly.

Depending on how much REBOL code you have, and how it is written, you
may be able to cross-compile it into Scheme.  Depending on what sort
of database interface you have, you may be able to access it directly
as well.

Posted on the users mailing list.