[plt-scheme] Unicode on the cheap

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 25 09:35:29 EST 2004

At Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:29:54 -0700, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> A "code point" is a Unicode number. A "code unit" in a particular
> encoding scheme is one number used toward the encoding of code points.

Does the original question not make any sense if it were asked in terms
of code units? I've done some more reading on unicode and utf-8 and it
still seems to be a sensible question. Here it is, rewritten:

  If I were to put four of those chinese characters into string (eg by
  calling `string' with four arguments), why wouldn't the resulting
  string have a `string-length' of four?

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.