[plt-scheme] Scheme Literature

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 5 11:59:37 EST 2004

Off-list message:

Jeffrey Stephens wrote:

> > I'm new to the list and to Scheme...
> >
> > I'm considering to buy some literature on Scheme, at the university and
> > at home I use DrScheme, as there is no book on Scheme book available at
> > the University's Library...
>
> Just because there is no book "on-hand" in the university's library
> does not mean that you can't get any book you like through the
> library.  In most librarys this is called the "Interlibrary Loan
> Program".

While it may be possible for Ricardo Nonomura, don't assume everyone
lives in a country where such a thing is possible.  (I see he's
posting from a .de address; I assume Germany has such a system?)  In
many parts of the world, they've never heard of such a thing as
Interlibrary Loan.

Interlibrary Loan anyway only works if there's some other affiliated
library that has a copy of the book you want.  Even in many parts of
the US, this is not a substantial collection -- certainly not "any
book you like".

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.