[plt-scheme] PLaneT and FFI

From: Dave Herman (dherman at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 31 11:58:38 EST 2004

> The downside here is that you don't automatically get the neccessary C
> libraries.  But if PLaneT solved that too, on all of our platforms, he
> would get the Nobel Prize instead of a degree.

Well, if the writer of the planet library knows where the C library can
be downloaded from, the module could automatically download it and
install it in a planet subdirectory in an analogous fashion to the way
planet modules are downloaded.

If you're careful about how you load the library this might be
acceptable. If the user has it installed somewhere else, you'd probably
want to assume they know what they want and prefer that one over the
downloaded one; or you might even make this configurable.

Dave "gunning for my Nobel" Herman

Posted on the users mailing list.