[plt-scheme] Custom GUI's in Scheme

From: Arctic Fidelity (af at aaronhsu.com)
Date: Tue Dec 7 18:59:15 EST 2004

> At Sun, 05 Dec 2004 19:37:04 -0600, "Arctic Fidelity" wrote:
> > [...] wants to
> > have a program with lot's of color, shadows, etc.
> >
> > The problem is that I can't find a way to do that with the MrEd
> > tookbox, and I assume you can't. What's I'm looking for then, is a
> > good way to create this application. I know that with other IDE's you
> > can create your own objects, such as buttons that are bitmaps, etc.
> > But I am at a loss of how to do it in PLT scheme.
>
> You can derive from canvas% to create an arbitrary control from
> scratch.

Thanks so much for this information and the example. It is going to take
me quite some time figure out all this stuff. I'm pretty new to this
side of programming in general. I'm sure I'll have more questions, so
I'll send another email when I can.

Pretty much, this application has no need for really different widgets,
just a different face and shape on those widgets. All I would really
want to do is change things such as the depth and background color of a
text field, or make a button with two images instead of the usual
looking button, or something similiar to that. Or overridethe usual
shape on a tab panel, and make it a shape and color I wanted. Is this
what I would do? I'm still confused.

- Aaron Hsu
--
Committees have become so important nowadays that subcommittees have to
be appointed to do the work.