[plt-scheme] Notable bug-fix in uri-codec.ss in the net collection

From: Mike Burns (netgeek at speakeasy.net)
Date: Thu Aug 26 20:35:00 EDT 2004

--- David T. Pierson mumbled on 2004-08-26 20.24.29 -0400 ---
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 08:06:59PM -0400, David T. Pierson wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 03:19:26PM -0400, Mike Burns wrote:
> > > ampersands would instead be escaped to `&'. We have removed the problem
> >
> > I am probably missing some context, but why is that a problem?
> > Ampersands should be escaped to '&' in XML documents, even if the
>
> After further thought, I think perhaps I misunderstood your message.
> Are the changes only regarding the *parsing* of name-value pairs in
> URLs?

The parsing has changed, and to me that is the important part, for the
reason you highlighted above.

However, the URL generator has also changed, in that it creates URLs with
`;' instead of `&'.

Both of these are noteworthy: the parser changing, because the parser is now
stricter about what can be a value and what can be a key; the generator
changing, because it could lead to confusion about what is going on
(many CGI and Web programming courses still teach `&' instead of `;', even
though Perl, Python, and Java support both).

--
Mike Burns netgeek at speakeasy.net http://mike-burns.com