[plt-scheme] mred-launcher

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 25 16:12:37 EDT 2004

At Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:52:57 +0200 (CEST), Ivanyi Peter wrote:
> I have created a plt package. In the info.ss I used the
> mred-launcher-libraries and the
> mred-launcher-names directives. The installation process
> creates an executable file. It looks to me a proper exe file.
> My questions are: what exactly is this exe file? Does it contain
> the "interpreter" or what is exactly inside this file? To distribute
> the program what do I need to put in a package, exe + compiled
> zo files + anything else?

A launcher exe doesn't contain the interpreter. Under Windows and Mac
OS X, it's a little application that links to the PLT DLLs/Frameworks.
Under X, it's a script that launches MrEd. The launcher also gets your
Scheme code from source/bytecode in your collection's directory.

You can use "mzc --gui-exe" to get something closer to a stand-alone
executable. The resulting executable will embed your Scheme code, but
it will still need the PLT DLLs/Frameworks under Windows and Mac OS X.
(FWIW, we destribute installers for just the DLLs/Frameworks.)

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.