[plt-scheme] web server directories

From: Jens Axel Søgaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Tue Aug 24 20:15:38 EDT 2004

Jens Axel Søgaard wrote:

>  It used to be here:
>
> <http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2003-September/003568.html>
>

> Where is it now?

I think there is a bug in the mail archive software. The thread is (almost)
the last in september 2003, but there is only on mail listed in the thread.
Perhaps there is problems with threads spanning over two months? The
thread has the title "PLT Hosting?" and is started by Gordon Weakliem.

This was found in my own archive:

Here is what I did (with considerable help from my brother):

1. Compiled mzscheme:

     ./configure --disable-mred --prefix=my_homedir_path
     make
     make install

2. Started the web-server on port 8080 (Apache is running on port 80)

     text-web-server -p 8080

3. Tested that the PLT-server was running:
      i) Downloaded, compiled and installed the text browser lynx
     ii) lynx http://localhost:8080
   [Due to the firewall port 8080 wasn't available from my home machine]

4. Got Apache to proxy all urls:

     In .htaccess :

     RewriteEngine On
     RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://localhost:8080/$1 [P]

5. Cursed.

The documentation for mod_rewrite said, that one should
make sure that mod_proxy was compiled in, but

      /sbin/httpd -l

showed no sign of mod_proxy. Thus I feared that Apache
had to be recompiled. Fortunately mod_so, which can load
modules dynamically, was compiled in. My brother loaded
mod_proxy (I don't know how) and voila!

6. Cheered.

Note 1: I haven't test anything but static pages yet.
Note 2: The PLT-server sees all requests as coming from
        the local machine, so the security feature that
        configuration of the PLT-server is restricted
        to localhost should not be relied upon.

The conclusion is that if you have shell access and
are allowed to use mod_rewrite in .htaccess-files, then
nothing stops you from using the PLT web-server.

--
Jens Axel Søgaard