[plt-scheme] Specifying number precision to display

From: Jeanie Kozar (jeaniek7 at comcast.net)
Date: Mon Aug 23 23:04:51 EDT 2004

I gottat put in my 2 cents worth here.  In 30-odd years of programming I've
never had any other feeling for output programming than utter loathing.  As
a result, I've always been a fan of formatting functions/commands/... that
allowed me to do the repetitive stuff relatively simply.  My personal
favorite is Common Lisp's format, in spite of Aubry Jaffer's objections to
its number formatting.  With it I can do fairly sophisticated text output
formatting without much work beyond expressing what I want in the
(admittedly arcane) spec language.  I find the idea that I have to write my
own library of left pad, right pad, item-length-relative functions
ludicrous, since someone's already built that library -- format.  If you
need the layout sensitivity that Jaffer talks about, use his functions; for
much of the rest, give me format.

I find the programmability particularly nice, since I can write lisp code
that computes interesting results and then use format to produce, for
example, LaTeX source -- typeset-quality output that's never touched by
human hands.

There, I feel better now :-)

 -- Bill Wood