[plt-scheme] SchemeUnit redevelopment

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 17 09:52:05 EDT 2004

Development on SchemeUnit has been idle for a while and in
that time many improvements have been suggested and some
bit-rot has set it.  I'm resuming development of SchemeUnit
and seeking feedback from the user community to guide the
next version.

My preliminary list of changes is below.  It is likely it
will take several versions to complete this list and some
of
the changes with break compatability with the 1.x series.
To avoid excessive noise I'm asking everyone who is
interested in the future development of SchemeUnit to join
schematics-development, if interested in guiding the
developing, schematics-users if you merely want to stay
abreast of the latest developments.  To sign up to either
list visit:

  http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=19879

Thanks,
Noel

SchemeUnit Proposed Changes:

2.0

  [DONE] Allow assertions to record arbitrary information
about
  failure.  This has already been implemented in 2.0 alpha
  1.  Breaks compatability with 1.x

  Add setup and teardown actions for test-suites.  Maybe
via
  keyword arguments.  May break compatability with 1.x

  Drop support for GUI unless someone is willing to help
  develop it.

  Release as PlaneT modules in addition to Schematics
  website

  Add require/expose macro, aka glassbox testing. (I've
lost
  the source to this, if you have it please send it to me)

  If possible improve text-ui to display backtraces

  Miscellaneous additional assertions:
  - assert-regexp-match
  - assert-not-false

  Miscellaneous additional macros:
  - (make-test-suite* suite-name (case-name case-body) ...)

    to reduce typing for the common case of

    (make-test-suite
     suite-name
     (make-test-case
      case-name-0
      case-body-0)
     (make-test-case
      case-name-1
      case-body-1))

2.1

  Port to SISC, Scheme48 and maybe R5RS.

2.2

  Implement fold-tds, ala SSAX, for test-suites.  This will
  allow more flexible traversal of test suites, and in turn
  more flexible reporting options

  Provide more flexible reporting options:
  - timing information
  - log to disk

2.?

  Additional add-on libraries:
  - web testing (I have an existing incomplete framework)
  - WebIt! (ditto)
  - user contributions

  Redevelop GUI and/or integrate w/ PLT's tool

=====
Email: noelwelsh <at> yahoo <dot> com
AIM: noelhwelsh