[plt-scheme] Error reporting and batch compilation (was: fluid-let-syntax may get flushed)

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryan_sml at yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 14:46:00 EDT 2004

--- "Richard C. Cobbe" <cobbe at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> Lo, on Friday, August 13, Matthias Felleisen did write:
>
> > [...]
> > Tools like SchemeUnit would definitely benefit from an extreme
> > model-view separation especially if you can implement both a
> > textual and a gui interface and then post the three components
> > on PLaneT.
>
> This model-view separation exists (although one might argue that
> it's somewhat primitive), it's just that the text interface isn't
> very good.

Yes, you can build a test suite using the same set of tools and then
choose one of two ways of executing it, viewing the results, etc.

> > P.S. I'd actually think that the GUI interface would become a
> > tool one day.
>
> It is; Ryan wrote it.  It broke N versions of DrScheme ago, though,
> and Ryan hasn't had a chance to fix it yet.  I don't think he has
> any plans to fix it, either, since I gather he wasn't able to get
> all the necessary support from DrScheme.  In particular, IIRC, the
> break button doesn't help when a test case diverges.  But you'll
> need to ask him for details.

Slight clarification:

There is a graphical test window that runs at application-level. Your
program requires a library and programmatically creates a window, and
you click buttons to execute tests.

On top of that, I built a DrScheme tool that basically just creats
that window automatically (when Test is clicked). The tool also hooks
into a few DrScheme facilities like backtraces and source
highlighting. But I never got the "run in DrScheme thread/eventspace"
vs "run in user thread/eventspace" part right, which leads to the
problem with the Break button and others that Robby showed me.

Last I checked, the simple graphical window worked just fine. The
tool has been broken for a while, and probably won't be fixed soon.

Ryan