[plt-scheme] Announcing MzTake: a scriptable debugger

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 10 16:02:11 EDT 2004

Vadim, thanks for your detailed comments.

> I'd been meaning to code up a scriptable debugger for Java using JDWP.
> Rich Kilmer seems to have beat me to it though:
>    http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyjdwp/
>    http://www.zenspider.com/dl/rubyconf2003/RubyAndJDWP.pdf
>    http://richkilmer.blogs.com/ether/2003/12/project_alph.html

Guillaume Marceau and Greg Cooper did this too (ie, using JDWP).  They
used some of the code from Ruby to bootstrap their debugger.  We have
a paper about it at ASE 2004 that you can get from my Web page.

But, we love Scheme more.

> Speaking of backward time travel, I don't know if you've heard of the
> Omniscient Debugger:
>   http://www.lambdacs.com/debugger/debugger.html

Interesting -- I hadn't.  Conceptually it doesn't look that much more
clever than Tolmach and Appel's debugger (and fie on the author for
writing a related work section that doesn't actually *relate* *work*
(and the program committee for not insisting on it, either)).  You
could also do something like this using the new path-exploration tools
available, such as Java PathFinder (not PathFindler, which is what I
originally typed).

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.