[plt-scheme] miscaellanous packaging problems with plt-scheme

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 6 09:46:00 EDT 2004

At Thu, 5 Aug 2004 19:35:38 -0400, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > 2)
> > E: plt-mzscheme binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/lib/plt/bin/mzscheme
> > ['/usr/lib']
> > The binary or shared library defines the `RPATH'. Usually this is a
> > bad thing because it hard codes the path to search libraries and so it
> > makes difficult to move libraries around.  Most likely you will find a
> > Makefile with a line like: gcc test.o -o test -Wl,--rpath.
> >
> > 3)
> > E: plt-mzscheme library-not-linked-against-libc
> > /usr/lib/plt/collects/openssl/compiled/native/i386-linux/mzssl.so
>
> Matthew?
>
> (The rpath is probably coming from plt/src/wxcommon/jpeg.)

The configure script currently adds `-rpath' in shared-library mode,
and I can see why that may be a bad thing. (The intent was to prevent
lots of install questions whose answer is "set LD_LIBRARY_PATH".) I'll
look into this.

Meanwhile, that's why -rpath shows up in the generated Makefiles. It
could be removed from all Makefiles.

> > 4)
> > zero-length /usr/lib/plt/collects/launcher/sh
>
> ?

This file is used for its execute-permission bit when creating a
launcher script (i.e., the file is copied).

> > zero-length /usr/lib/plt/collects/doc/drscheme/keywords.scm
>
> I think that these files should not be included.

I think it's safe to omit this file, but I'm not certain. Help Desk
might expect it to be there. (It's empty because the DrScheme manual
doesn't define any keywords.)

No news yet on the gcc 3.4.1 problem. I'm planning to install 3.4.1 on
my machine and see what happens.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.