[plt-scheme] Re: case-sensitive reader by default

From: Felix Klock's PLT scheme proxy (pltscheme at pnkfx.org)
Date: Tue Apr 27 21:00:08 EDT 2004

This made me think...

1. I wrote down why I thought case-insensitivity was useful for my own
idiosyncratic purposes when programming in Scheme.  Could someone
(perhaps Eli?) volunteer to tell me why it is important to make the
default case-sensitive?
Especially when the three (|..|, #cs, -g) workarounds exist for those
times when you need to interface with a case-sensitive environment
[[and thus make it explicit with the #cs marker that the case
sensitivity matters... oh but this is starting to sound like that other
thread...]]

Is it so that we can write our sets as A and an element of A as a?
(I'm being a little facetious here...)

2. It seems to me, since any trained user will know the way to get the
behavior they desire out of their Scheme programming system, that the
default behavior should be the one that is most intuitive for the
***UNTRAINED*** user.  So perhaps this poll is going out to the wrong
people?

Or perhaps the votes of PLT veterans should only count 2/3's?  (I'm
being almost completely facetious here...)

Thinking too hard about too little,
-Felix

On Apr 27, 2004, at 8:48 PM, Bradd W. Szonye wrote:

> Pedro Pinto wrote:
>> I vote yes.
>>

>> Many foreign libraries are written in case sensitive
>> languages/platforms
>> (.NET, C). Interfacing with these usually forces some crude mangling
>> in
>> order to preserve identifier case differences.  It would be nice not
>> have to worry about this.
>
> Isn't it sufficient to use the |Identifier Quoting| form?
> --
> Bradd W. Szonye
> http://www.szonye.com/bradd

----
"you did it to me again, the naked zwrite.
  nothing worse than the naked zwrite."  -rickyd

Posted on the users mailing list.