[plt-scheme] recursion and efficiency?!

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 21 13:43:51 EDT 2004

On Apr 21, 2004, at 1:40 PM, Manfred Lotz wrote:

>> And then there might be Jens's effect. Small benchmarks often pollute
>>
>> caches and things
>> with garbage.
>>

> I ran each of fact1, fact2 and fact3 separately in a script from the
> command line just to make sure there is no garbage collection from
> any previous activities faking the result.
>

> --
> Thanks,
> Manfred

I figured. But ever since Hans Boehm showed me how he ran a batch
program
twice in a row and experienced a factor of 2 speedup, I am suspicious of
all micro benchmarks. Effects may linger around though I suspect in your
case the first two parts explain the observation.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.