[plt-scheme] macrophases

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Apr 12 13:40:00 EDT 2004

On Apr 12, Anton van Straaten wrote:
> Matthew Flatt wrote:
> > I remain convinced that separating the phases is best, even when
> > trying to accommodate a more traditional top level.
>
> This makes all sorts of sense to me.

I can verify that as someone who implemented a non-trivial system
where this phase separation seemed like it would have some
catastrophic effects, but the result was actually a cleaner system.
(I still have some remaining kluges like some form of "syntax
parameters" that control the way things are expanded.)

> > When compiling
> >
> >  (let-syntax ([x (let-syntax ([x (let-syntax ([x (let-syntax ([x 8])
> >                                                     ....)])
> >                                      ....)])
> >                     ....)])
> >     ....)
> >
> > the "8" lives at meta-meta-meta-compile time.
>
> Zen koan for the day: what is the sound of one brain exploding?

Obviously, it is the sound of one brain exploding.