[plt-scheme] libmzgc.a, libmzscheme.a on Mac OS X?

From: Michael Manti (mmanti at mac.com)
Date: Fri Apr 2 18:58:36 EST 2004

Matthew,

That's useful information, especially for someone who's just venturing
out of the shallow end of Unix. Thanks!

It turns out that the binary distribution available elsewhere on the
PLT Scheme site worked just fine after running ranlib against libmzgc.a
and libmzcheme.a. Sometimes you just have to read the right man page!

Thank you for your help,

Michael Manti

On Apr 2, 2004, at 10:55 AM, Matthew Flatt wrote:

> At Thu, 1 Apr 2004 05:39:06 -0500, Michael Manti wrote:
>> I'm trying to compile Sergey Khorev's MzVim, but gcc complains that
>> libmzgc.a and libmzscheme.a are unavailable. I see that they are not
>> in
>> /Applications/PLT Scheme v206/lib subdirectory, but mzdyn.o is. (I
>> used
>> the Mac OS X installer for DrScheme.)
>>
>> Do I need to download and compile the source? Which flags do I need to
>> set? Any help would be greatly appreciated; I can't find any hints on
>> the web.
>
> Under Mac OS X, an alternative to libmzscheme.a and libmzgc.a is the
> "framework" PLT_MzScheme, which provides a dynamic library.
>
> You probably have the framework installed in the normal location:
>
>   /Library/Frameworks/PLT_MzScheme.framework
>
> To use the framework, instead of linking with -lmzscheme -lmzgc, link
> with -framework PLT_MzScheme.
>
> For example, if "ex.c" has main() for an embedding program:
>
>   gcc -I/Applications/PLT\ Scheme\ v206p1/include/
>       -framework PLT_MzScheme
>       ex.c -o ex
>
> should compile and link (if your include files are in the usual place).
>
> The content of "Applications/PLT\ Scheme\ v206p1/include/" really
> should be put in the framework, too, since that's what frameworks are
> for. After we fix this (one day), then compiling and linking will be as
> simple as
>
>   gcc -framework PLT_Mzscheme ex.c -o ex
>

> Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.