[plt-scheme] Unicode, take 3

From: Gordon Weakliem (gweakliem at oddpost.com)
Date: Thu Apr 1 17:52:53 EST 2004

-----Original Message from Paul Schlie <schlie at comcast.net>-----
>Makes sense, I know I'd hate to have to try to learn something new in
>anything but my native language; however wonder if scheme's support of such
>features may indirectly relegate it to academic obscurity, as I don't
>suspect the commercial world has any room for languages which enables code
>to be composed from an arbitrary collection of characters and languages, as
>it would become essentially un-maintainable. (guess it depends on what the
>goals for the language are)

Actually, Java is an example of a language that allows you to compose identifiers from a much larger group of characters (code points) than US-ASCII [1].  In this respect, I think Scheme *lags* the current state of the art.

[1] http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/lexical.doc.html#40625
--
Gordon Weakliem
http://www.eighty-twenty.net