[plt-scheme] Linking Scheme- and C-variables

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri Oct 31 23:05:38 EST 2003

On Nov  1, Daniel K. Skovenborg wrote:
> I'm making a C-program with embedded MzScheme (used as console) and
> I like to have MzScheme so deeply integrated as possible. Therefore
> I like to have C-variables linked to Scheme-variables so when you
> change the Scheme-variable in the console with set! then the
> C-variable will change too and vice versa.

I don't think that there's a way to do this at the C level, but here
is one way it could be achieved, using a macro to hide the variable
and perform some arbitrary operation when set:

  (module hooked-vars mzscheme
    (provide def-hooked-var)
    (define-syntax (def-hooked-var stx)
      (syntax-case stx ()
        ((_ var val hook) (identifier? #'var)
         (with-syntax ((hidden-var
                        (datum->syntax-object
                         #'var
                         (string->symbol
                          (string-append (symbol->string (syntax-e #'var))
                                         "-hidden-value"))
                         #'var)))
           #'(begin (define hidden-var val)
                    (define-syntax var
                      (make-set!-transformer
                       (lambda (stx)
                         (syntax-case stx (set!)
                           ((set! var new-val)
                            #'(set! hidden-var (hook new-val)))
                           ((var . xs) #'(hidden-var . xs))
                           (var        #'hidden-var)))))))))))

For example:

  > (require hooked-vars)
  > (define a 1)
  > (def-hooked-var b 1 (lambda (new) (set! a new) new))
  > (set! b 3)
  3
  3