[plt-scheme] Where is macroexpand in PLT Scheme?

From: Bill Clementson (bill_clementson at yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 12 11:21:51 EST 2003

--- John Clements <clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:
[snip]
> Look at it this way.  What source would you give to
> the code in the
> definitions window?
>
> A filename?  But maybe the text has never been
> saved, or maybe the text
> in the definitions window is different from that in
> the file.  In
> DrScheme, the source for code from the definitions
> window is listed as
> being the definitions window itself.

Why not just show the source for code in the
definitions window as #f ? That is what is used for
other statements in an expansion for which there is no
source.

> I surmise that you would be less confused if the
> source was listed as
> "definitions window".  That's exactly what DrScheme
> is telling you.

That would make more sense. Having the source location
of an editor mixin shown as the source of a scheme
statement in the definitions window is confusing at
best and incorrect at the worst.

> What is the definitions window?  It's an instance of
> a class.  How does
> DrScheme print out an instance of a class?  By
> describing the class,
> including a reference to the file in which it was
> defined.

I understand all the words you've written and I
understand what you're trying to say. I guess I just
don't find it logical. However, that's probably just
me.

Thanks to you, Robby & Dor for the explanations.

--
Bill Clementson