[plt-scheme] New syntax colorer and parenthesis highlighter have arrived

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 6 09:52:50 EST 2003

At Wed, 5 Nov 2003 23:42:48 -0500, "Anton van Straaten" wrote:
> Robby Findler wrote:
> > I'm thinking that maybe Check Syntax shouldn't do any coloring that the
> > online colorer can do; instead, it will become a tool for exploring the
> > lexical structure of the program (jumping around between variables,
> > jumping to definition sites in external files, showing the tail-call
> > structure, etc), in addition to the usual function of finding any
> > syntax errors.
>
> Isn't there quite a bit of coloring that only Check Syntax can do?  At
> least, every time I mentioned the idea of lexical coloring here, it was
> nixed as being too primitive...  :P

There's some, but mostly it is just separating bound variables from
keywords. Useful, but not earth shaking. It's the other aspects of
check syntax (the stuff with variables and tail calls) that are more
interesting and cannot be lexical (we both mean lexical in the sense of
lex/yacc, not lexical in the sense of bound/binding variables, right?).

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.