[plt-scheme] New syntax colorer and parenthesis highlighter have arrived

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 5 23:17:07 EST 2003

At Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:53:45 -0500, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 5, 2003, at 07:19 PM, Anton van Straaten wrote:
> >
> > So here's an idle question which I doubt is anything new: couldn't the
> > lexical colorer use some of the info from the last run of "Check
> > Syntax" (if
> > any) to improve its knowledge?  Not that I think this will be
> > "necessary" in
> > any sense, since I'll be happy just to have the basic lexical coloring.
> >

> Do you really not use alpha-renaming? I also use the arrow tacking when
> I explore a program that I don't know well. It's an extremely simple
> flow diagram
> but often enough to navigate the program in a meaningful manner.

I'm thinking that maybe Check Syntax shouldn't do any coloring that the
online colorer can do; instead, it will become a tool for exploring the
lexical structure of the program (jumping around between variables,
jumping to definition sites in external files, showing the tail-call
structure, etc), in addition to the usual function of finding any
syntax errors.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.