[plt-scheme] Re: Emacs tags for MzScheme modules

From: Bill Clementson (bill_clementson at yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 2 18:37:21 EST 2003

Shriram Krishnamurthi
<sk=9N4TdPD67tT2fBVCVOL8/A at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Is it correct to rephrase your objection in the
following way?

First of all, let me reiterate what I've said in
previous emails - I'm not trying to be critical of
DrScheme in any way. I think you guys have done a
terrific job and the module browser is an excellent
tool for what it does. I have no objection to what
you've done with module browser.

> The module broswer lets you "find" things when you
already know where
> they are.

The module browser is great for looking at the overall
"structure" of modules that make up an application. It
is not really appropriate (nor do I think it was your
intention for it to be used in that way) for locating
the source of individual definitions.

> What you want is the ability to find functions where
you can only see
> their name, but don't know where they are -- a la
M-. of etags.

Yes, what I'm struggling with is finding a mechanism
for locating the definitions of individual functions,
macros, etc. In C, Java, and CL, I have tools for
doing this. I'm just trying to find the equivalent
tools to use when I'm working with MzScheme.

Cheers,
Bill